Chemistry introduces students to the scientific process and to scientific measurement techniques, including metric measurement conversions. Chemistry requires quantitative measurements and calculations when making observations or creating chemical reactions during experiments. Most measurements are made using the international system of units (SI Units) along with prefixes that relate to the size of the measurement. This course covers dimensional analysis, development of the modern atomic model, and the Periodic Table of Elements. Students will investigate the way chemicals react and how these reactions can be represented and calculated, how energy is important in chemical reactions and relationships, and the dynamics of the phases of matter. Solution chemistry allows students to develop expertise in calculating various measures of concentration and in understanding chemical equilibrium. Factors affecting how chemical reactions take place in solution then leads to an investigation of acids and bases. Oxidation-Reduction reactions, also known as redox reactions, are reactions that involve a transfer of electrons between elements during chemical reaction. Redox reactions and nuclear chemistry wrap up the course. Assessments for each individual lesson consist of multiple-choice exams. The mid-term and final exams consist of short-answer, problem-solving, or true/false questions.
- Course Name: Chemistry
- Subject Area: Science
- Credits: 1 Unit
- Track: College Prep, General
- Price: $
- Syllabus: Course Syllabus (PDF)
- Book(s)*: Chemistry. Pearson (2012).
Take Online Chemistry for Summer School or Credit Recovery
- Consider a single-course enrollment for better focus
- Get ahead of your current placement in a specific subject area
- Make up failed or incomplete high school course credits as needed
How Online High School Courses Work
- Access ebooks and lessons through your own secure Student Portal
- Study any time day or night and learn at your own pace
- Request academic guidance from certified teachers and academic advisors
- Attend voluntary weekly teacher-led live lessons at our virtual high school
- Get additional study assistance from our online Learning Resource Center
- Complete the course in as few as 6 weeks
*NOTE: Individual course purchases include ebooks only.
Online Chemistry is part of the curriculum for College Prep Diploma students and an elective for General Diploma students. You can also purchase it as a single course for high school credit recovery or online summer school. Call 1-800-349-6861 or enroll online now!