Online Vocabulary Studies
Vocabulary Studies is a fundamental English/Language Arts course that focuses on helping students improve and understand vocabulary words by examination of Greek and Latin bases of words, recognition of word parts such as prefixes and suffixes, and looking at the etymological, or root, meanings of words. Students will recognize relationships between words (analogies, synonyms, and antonyms), as well as mastering difficult or confusing words (homonyms, homophones, and homographs). Students will also learn to break down challenging words into parts and to derive meaning of vocabulary words from context. The course provides an extensive introduction to figurative language, such as metaphors, similes, personification, idioms, and alliteration. Students are assessed by multiple choice exams on the course content.
- Course Name: Vocabulary Studies
- Subject Area: English
- Credits: 1 Unit
- Track: College Prep, General
- Price: Not Available For Single Purchase
- Syllabus: Course Syllabus (PDF)
- Book(s)*: This course does not require a textbook. All material is provided online.
How Online High School Courses Work
- Access ebooks and lessons through your own secure Student Portal
- Study any time day or night and learn at your own pace
- Request academic guidance from certified teachers and academic advisors
- Attend voluntary weekly teacher-led live lessons at our virtual high school
- Get additional study assistance from our online Learning Resource Center
- Complete the course in as few as 6 weeks
*NOTE: Individual course purchases include ebooks only.
Online Vocabulary Studies is part of the curriculum for General Diploma students and an elective for College Prep Diploma students. Call 1-800-349-6861 or enroll online now!