Online Reading and Literature Course
Our online Reading and Literature course is comprehensive and convenient. Regionally accredited JMHS lets you study online at your own pace from anywhere –- at home, during work breaks or while traveling. This course is available as part of a JMHS diploma program; not for individual purchase. Enroll online at JMHS anytime to be a step closer to becoming a high school graduate.
- Course Name: Reading and Literature
- Subject Area: English
- Credits: 1 Unit
- Track: College Prep, General
- Price: Not Available For Single Purchase
- Syllabus: Course Syllabus (PDF)
- Book(s): Custom Curriculum
Reading and Literature gives students the tools to understand and interpret fiction and non-fiction literature, including short stories, historical non-fiction, fables, fairytales, folklore, speeches, novels and poetry. Students will analyze poetry, folklore, fairytales and fables, learn about character and theme development, interpret historical pieces of literature and analyze and interpret speeches. They will also compare and contrast a variety of fiction and non-fiction written material, recognize poem styles, distinguish between fact and fiction, use critical thinking to determine outcomes, and apply historical references to text. Students will read a variety of works, including fiction and non-fiction. Authors covered in the text include Harper Lee, Edgar Allen Poe, Frederick Douglass, Abraham Lincoln, Shirley Jackson, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Langston Hughes, Maya Angelou, Ernest Hemingway, and Emily Dickinson. Skills are developed through writing assignments and multiple-choice exams.
How It Works
- Access your eBook and lessons through your Student Portal
- Study any time and learn at your own pace
- Request academic guidance from certified teachers and academic advisorsAttend voluntary weekly teacher-led live lessonsGet additional study assistance from our online Learning Resource CenterComplete the course in as few as 6 weeks