Online English II
English II (General) focuses on reading and comprehending a variety of non-fiction writing. Themes and ideas covered in this course, focus on understanding and using many facets of speeches and essays, including writings by from Ralph Waldo Emerson, Astronaut Sally Ride, Malcolm X, Annie Dillard, Virginia Woolf, Lou Gehrig, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and others. The course also includes an examination of the genres, writing techniques, themes, and styles associated with fictional literature. Students will be asked to analyze literature and think critically about idea development. Skills developed will be integrated to form a strong foundation in literature, grammar, and composition. Students will read a variety of works, including fiction short stories, various types of poetry, and a novel. Authors covered in the text include Jimmy Santiago Baca, Rudyard Kipling, Robert Frost, Alexander Pushkin, John Phillip Santos, Ray Bradbury, D.T. Niane, and The Grimm Brothers, among others. Students will learn to develop literary analysis with support from the text, identify and analyze elements of poetry, and reflect on and write about short story elements. Skills are developed through projects as well as multiple-choice exams.
- Course Name: English II (General)
- Subject Area: English
- Credits: 1 Unit
- Track: General
- Price: $
- Syllabus: Course Syllabus (PDF)
- Book(s)*: Each lesson provides reading passages and/or links to reading passages.
- Prerequisite: English I
Take Online English II for Summer School or Credit Recovery
- Consider a single-course enrollment for better focus
- Get ahead of your current placement in a specific subject area
- Make up failed or incomplete high school course credits as needed
How Online High School Courses Work
- Access ebooks and lessons through your own secure Student Portal
- Study any time day or night and learn at your own pace
- Request academic guidance from certified teachers and academic advisors
- Attend voluntary weekly teacher-led live lessons at our virtual high school
- Get additional study assistance from our online Learning Resource Center
- Complete the course in as few as 6 weeks
*NOTE: Individual course purchases include ebooks only.
Online English II is part of the curriculum for General Diploma students. You can also purchase it as a single course for high school credit recovery or online summer school. Call 1-800-349-6861 or enroll online now!