Online English II
English II (General) is an examination of the genres, writing techniques, themes, and styles associated with fine literature. Students will be asked to analyze literature and think critically about idea development. Skills developed will be integrated to form a strong foundation in literature, grammar and composition. Students will read a variety of works, including fiction and non-fiction short stories, various types of poetry, a novel of their choice, plays and famous speeches. Authors covered in the text include William Shakespeare, Dylan Thomas, Rudyard Kipling, Robert Frost, Alfred Tennyson, Maya Angelou and Alexander Pushkin among others. English II (General) focuses on comprehending complex text, analyzing argument, reading and analyzing poetry, reading informational and expository text, learning about the oral interpretation of literary works, analyzing how diction and syntax establish a writer’s style, determining central ideas, identifying elements of plot structure literary drama, and Greek theater and tragedy. Students will learn to develop literary analysis with support from the text, reflect on and write about short story elements, write a cause and effect essay, a comparison essay and a persuasive essay. Skills are developed through writing assignments as well as multiple-choice exams.
- Course Name: English II (General)
- Subject Area: English
- Credits: 1 Unit
- Track: General
- Price: $
- Syllabus: Course Syllabus (PDF)
- Book(s)*: Prentice Hall Literature Grade 10 (Parts I, II). Pearson (2012)
- Prerequisite: English I
Take Online English II for Summer School or Credit Recovery
- Consider a single-course enrollment for better focus
- Get ahead of your current placement in a specific subject area
- Make up failed or incomplete high school course credits as needed
How Online High School Courses Work
- Access ebooks and lessons through your own secure Student Portal
- Study any time day or night and learn at your own pace
- Request academic guidance from certified teachers and academic advisors
- Attend voluntary weekly teacher-led live lessons at our virtual high school
- Get additional study assistance from our online Learning Resource Center
- Complete the course in as few as 6 weeks
*NOTE: Individual course purchases include ebooks only.
Online English II is part of the curriculum for General Diploma students. You can also purchase it as a single course for high school credit recovery or online summer school. Call 1-800-349-6861 or enroll online now!